Are you interested in interdisciplinary &/or transdisciplinary scientific research and funding?
Is there any institution carrying EXCELLENT interdisciplinary research or funding which you would like to visit as a fellow (for at least a week)?
If YES you can apply to participate in INTREPID fellowship missions (STSMs) These fellowships aim to Reflect and learn (Challenge 1, see: http://www.intrepid-cost.eu/about-intrepid/) about how interdisciplinary knowledge creation is embedded in the research institutions work, formally and informally, and how it is enabled or constrained by current funding practices, by targeting institutions that are considered examples of good practice. Urban research/funding institutions will be privileged but other examples of good practice are welcome at this stage.
Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) STSM should contribute to the scientific objectives of INTREPID, whilst at the same time allowing those partaking in the missions to learn new techniques, gain access to specific data, instruments and/or methods not available in their own institutions.
Applications for INTREPID STSMs are now open:
- Completed applications should be submitted to the INTREPID Network Manager, Rafa Rodrigo (intrepid.cost.manager@gmail.
- Applications deadline is 17 March 2017.
- Application instructions and eligibility criteria are below.
Eligibility criteria and funding conditions
- All STSM activities must occur in their entirety before the end 7th of April 2017.
- STSMs should have a duration between 5 days and 90 days (and up to 180 days if the applicant is an ECI).
- Financial support is a contribution to the overall expenses incurred during the STSM and may not necessarily cover all of the associated expenses.
- Financial support is limited to cover travel, accommodation and meal expenses, it is paid in the form of a Grant at the end of the visit and no receipts are required by COST.
- The amounts granted for each individual STSM will be determined during the evaluation process.
- Failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days from the end date of the STSM will effectively cancel the Grant.
- Up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses.
- Up to a maximum of EUR 2500 in total can be afforded to each successful STSM applicant.
- A maximum amount of EUR 3500 can be afforded to ECIs in the case of STSMs with a duration between 91 and 180 days (the limit of EUR 2500 must be respected for STSMs with a duration between 5 and 90 days).
How to apply to an STSM
- All applicants must register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu/, adding their bank account details to their profile.
- All applicants must complete, submit and download their STSM application online at: cost.eu/STSM.
- Prior to submitting an application, all applicants must obtain a letter of invitation from the Host Institution confirming that they can undertake the STSM on the given dates.
- All applicants must send the following documentation for evaluation to the INTREPID Network Manager, Rafa Rodrigo (intrepid.cost.manager@gmail.
com) – applications deadline 17th March 2017:
- Letter of invitation/acceptance to the applicant from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host Institution (stating name of applicant, time period of the STSM, and acceptance of the work plan).
- The submitted STSM application form (downloadable when the online application is submitted).
- A motivation letter (2 pages maximum) including: name of applicant and contact details; a concise project title; proposed start and end dates of the STSM; contribution to the objectives of INTREPID; and clear justification for choosing the hosting institution/researcher.
- A work plan (2/3 pages), indicating strategic links to INTREPID and expected outputs from the STSM (e.g. an academic paper or ideas towards it, funding application or ideas towards it, etc.).
- A CV (2 pages), including publications and previous visiting fellowships and their outputs.
- A letter of support from the Home Institution.
- Please note that the COST Association can request additional information to substantiate the information contained within the documents submitted by STSM applicants.
- For further information applicants are invited to read the STSM rules detailed in Section 7 of the COST Vademecum, available at http://www.cost.eu/download/COSTVademecum.
- The selection of applicants is based on the scientific scope of the STSM application, considering the perceived contribution that the proposed visit will make and that must clearly compliment the overall objectives of INTREPID – scientific objectives outlined in the Action’s Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- The candidate should have a track record of work on the core issues of INTREPID and, or, closely related themes of interdisciplinarity in science (as student, researcher, practitioner or professor).
- Applications from Early Career Investigators (ECIs: researchers within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate) are encouraged.
- PhD students are also eligible to partake in STSMs.
- Applications of candidates belonging to an inclusiveness country are encouraged.
- Gender balance of applicants will be promoted.
- The applicant will be formally notified of the outcome of their STSM application by the STSM Coordinator.
To do after STSM completion
- Within 30 days from the end date of the STSM, the successful applicant must submit a 5 pages scientific report to the Host Institution and to the INTREPID Network Manager, Rafa Rodrigo (intrepid.cost.manager@gmail.
com). The report should include the following:
- Aims and objectives of the STSM; description of the host institution; description of work undertaken; main results; future collaboration possibilities with the host institution; and future plans, including potential future publications.
- The outputs produced (e.g. an academic paper or ideas towards it, funding application or ideas towards it, etc.).
- In addition, the successful applicant must submit to the INTREPID network Manager, Rafa Rodrigo (intrepid.cost.manager@gmail.
- A completed version of the Final Report Template provided.
- Short blog type report for the INTREPID website/newsletter.
- The final report must be completed and approved within 30 days from the end date of the STSM for the money transfer to take place – failure to accomplish it will effectively cancel the Grant. No travel/accommodation/meal receipts are required.
- The applicant is also responsible for acquiring an official acceptance letter/e-mail confirmation of acceptance from a senior Researcher affiliated to the Host Institution formally accepting the scientific report. This formal acceptance of the scientific report has to be sent to the Grant Holder and to the INTREPID Network Manager, Rafa Rodrigo (intrepid.cost.manager@gmail.
com for archiving purposes.
- The applicant is expected to acknowledge the financial support from INTREPID in all outputs arising from the STSM, by including the following text: “This [study] is an outcome of INTREPID (COST Action TD1408) – Interdisciplinarity in research programming and funding cycles”.